Motorists Insurance Group is headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, and consists of property & casualty, life insurance, and insurance brokerage companies with agents across the Midwest, Northeast, and South of the United States.
In 2019, Motorists Insurance changed its name to the Encova Group.
A new data center build for this client included:
- Tier 3 Data Center – F3 tornado capable.
- Approximately 19,000 sq. feet with raised floor space of 3700 sq. feet
- Convert to lights-out operation in the new data center
The challenges to this project were basically threefold. There was limited IT staff with no relocation experience. There were separate core network & phone related systems that were not moving. The troubleshooting and support was to be provided remotely.
A detailed inventory of their data center equipment was preformed, and the associated applications were mapped to the servers. The non-moving systems were identified and marked in the inventory. Dependencies were mapped and documented. The moving inventory was then divided up into groups according to their dependency relationships and technology characteristics. Each group was assigned to a move event in order to maximize dependency and staff relationships.
Critical Success factors
- Adoption of a proven data center relocation methodology and approach
- Used a collaborative approach with the key vendors to gain additional technical knowledge to assist the staff
- Added resources with experience in data center relocations to supplement existing staff
Altus Technologies can be of assistance to your business when it comes time for a data center relocation – it’s what we’ve been doing best since 1996. Give us a call or use our easy form to get a conversation started. We look forward to discussing your needs, and offer several other important Data Center services for our customers.