This firm is one of the largest insurance and financial services companies in the world, focusing on domestic property and casualty insurance, life insurance and retirement savings, asset management and strategic investments, Over the last 80 years, this company has grown from a small mutual auto insurer owned by policyholders to one of the largest insurance and financial services companies in the world, with more than $135 billion in statutory assets.
- Their environment consisted of a variety of equipment from vendors such as IBM, Sun, HP, CISCO, and EMC.
- The primary goal was to consolidate data centers into a single pair. All client impacts were to be minimized and the usage of holiday weekends were to be avoided. The project team was to develop strategies for the relocation that would limit move windows to off-peak hours.
- This project was to maximize the use of existing maintenance widows as much as possible.
- The relocation concept was broken down in multiple move events based on lines of business supported except for the mainframe, which had its own move event, and crossed multiple lines of business. Detailed dependance maps were created and the dependencies drove the overall plan.
Critical Success Factors:
- Adopted a proven methodology and approach
- Detailed application information was gathered
- Outside relocation specialists where brought in to assist
- Extremely detailed plans drove each move event
- Leveraged IT best practices in accomplishing the relocation