With assets of approximately $98 billion, this client is one of the nation’s largest bank-based financial services companies. Their data center needed relocation expertise to augment exiting staff’s knowledge of the bank with the knowledge of how best approach this type of project. Altus provided this expertise, leading to a successful data center move.
- This bank is one of the nation’s largest bank-based financial services companies, with assets of approximately $98 billion. Key companies provide investment management, retail and commercial banking, consumer finance, and investment banking products and services to individuals and companies throughout the United States and, for certain businesses, internationally. The company’s businesses deliver their products and services through branch offices and a network of 1,485 ATMs.
- The bank needed relocation expertise to augment their staff’s knowledge of the bank with the knowledge of how best approach this type of project.
- Minimized visibility to the clients and the core businesses was a major requirement.
- The project had to be organized so that the same staff could accomplish current duties and relocation duties.
- Application knowledge was limited because in cost saving move many of the applications had moved to off-shore support with the resulting loss of institutional knowledge of the applications.
- The relocation plan designed to accomplish the production move in a single large move over a three day weekend. This designed minimized the risks of missed dependencies and application latency. A dedicated planning staff was created which allowed technical resources to continue normal activities. The technical resources were used on an ad hoc basis.
Critical Success Factors:
- Allowed the pool of technical resources to maintain their day to day activities
- Adopted a “library card” approach to meeting project planning needs
- Brought in extensive experience in successful data center relocations
- Brought in project managers with experience in complex IT infrastructure projects